Year on year Call of Duty has been getting bigger and bigger. Initial launches are always trumping the previous game and this year was no exception with the highly anticipated release of Modern Warfare 3.
Activision today announced record fourth quarter and calendar year 2011 earnings.
This year, the release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 achieved the biggest grossing entertainment release ever selling over $775 million in retail sales in its first five days of release.
Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 3 was #1 Best-Selling Game for 2011 and the new ELITE service which launched along side has a whopping 7 Million registered users (so thats why their website is so slow!) including 1.5+ million paid premium members.
Other noteable achievements of Modern Warfare 3 and ELITE are as follows:
- Activision Publishing was the #1 console and handheld publisher in the U.S. and Europe for the fourth quarter of 2011 and the #1 console and handheld publisher in the U.S. for the calendar year.(3)
- For the calendar year, in aggregate across all platforms in the U.S. and Europe, Activision Publishing’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 was the #1 best-selling title in dollars, and Call of Duty: Black Ops was the #5 best-selling title in dollars.(3)
- In November 2011, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 became the first video game ever to surpass $775 million in retail sales in its first five days of release and the only entertainment property to cross the $1 billion mark in 16-days, eclipsing “Avatar’s” 17-day record.(4)
- As of January 31, 2012, more than seven million gamers have registered for Call of Duty Elite, including more than 1.5 million premium annual memberships the company has sold for the online service.(2)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 players logged more than 639 million hours of online gameplay through December 31, 2011.(5)
- Total unique online gamers playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 were more than 12% greater than the total unique online gamers who played Call of Duty: Black Ops during the first two months after each game’s release.(5)
(1) Net revenues from digital online channel represent revenues from subscriptions and memberships, licensing royalties, value-added services, downloadable content, digitally distributed products, and wireless devices.
(2) According to Activision Blizzard’s internal data
(3) According to The NPD Group, Charttrack and Gfk
(4) According to The NPD Group, Charttrack, retail customer sell-through information, Boxofficemojo.com and PricewaterhouseCoopers’ Global Entertainment and Media Outlook
(5) According to Microsoft, Sony and Activision Blizzard internal estimates
(6) According to The NPD Group
In other noteable news the report stated that the first full map pack for non-premium ELITE members will come to Xbox 360 users first in March. “In March 2012, Activision Publishing expects to release the first Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Content Collection, a compilation of content previously released to Call of Duty Elite premium members, on the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.”
What does the future hold for the Call of Duty franchise? Could it be the rumoured Black Ops 2 outsells Modern Warfare 3 and continue the franchise’s ever expanding growth.